Friday, January 30, 2009

Vegas: January 27

After our usual lunch, we went to the Price is Right Live show (for the third time!). Unfortunately neither of us got on the show, even though the dreaded $130 tabletop wine cooler was one of the items up for bid. Oh well.

Dinner time was spent at our favorite restaurant, Bally's Steakhouse, with our favorite waiter, James. He has been at that restaurant for 33 years, and he's shared many stories of the past greats entering the doors, Sinatra, Dean Martin, etc. I'm really glad that Joe and I discovered this restaurant.

And so, it was at about 7:30pm that we made our way to The Flamingo Showroom so I could justify spending $280 to watch one show. I laughed at the fact that Joe had seen the show twice already, spending $150 and $280 respectively. And then the curtain opened and I saw Marie Osmond. And my jaw dropped and the world stood still. She looked absolutely beautiful and suddenly I was transported back in time 30 years ago when my Grandma and I would watch the Donny & Marie show on TV. I had a little crush on her back in those days and it was so wonderful to bring back those memories. While she may have had weight problems in the past, she just looked simply HOT. Wow. And she could sing too, not just her usual hits but she was very diverse. Who would have thought that during her Broadway medley she would sing All I Ask of You from Phantom of the Opera (my favorite musical of all time)? She also sung Pie Jesu, one of the most haunting pieces ever. Marie Osmond singing opera? Well she could, and she did very well. I felt like a screaming teenager at times and even a few times she would look at me and smile. Joe even got a kiss on his bald head from Marie (one of her trademarks near the end other show).

Now to justify spending $280, there was a meet and greet afterwards. I managed to get one or two poses, and politely asked to kiss one of my childhood idols on the cheek. She said yes.

Oh yeah, Donny was there too.

No comments: