Thursday, August 19, 2004

To All The Girls I've Loved Before

I'm in a reflective mood this morning. On my walk home from work I started thinking about all the girls I've known that I've had a crush on so to speak (although in some cases I think I was actually in love). So for all those who have known me for a while (and even those who are interested/nosy), here is a list of all the members of the opposite sex who I have had so called feelings for...

Christine Yan -- One never forgets his first crush and this was it. Way back in 1983, it was French 12... seems like only yesterday. And to think I wasted 17 years of my life thinking that girls were icky. Christine changed all that, but just like that she was gone; something about graduating from High School.

Gloria Yan -- Anybody who's known me since High School knows that Gloria has been (and always will be?) the one that I will always remember. She's my Glory of Love, my Eternal Flame. There was a time when she was my best friend, as we'd share long phone conversations talking about relatively nothing. It was like we knew more about each other than anybody else knew. Perhaps the one big mistake in my life was to stop pursuing her when she was deep into her studies, but at least I can say I knew her. "It's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all".

Genevieve Garcia -- Another friend who could never be more than that. We shared such wonderful times together, when the gang would go clubbing and just hanging out together. I remember the infamous 10-page letter that I wrote to her once when she was away in the Philippines. In that letter I probably poured my heart out more than I had ever done so before. And through it all, we remained friends.

Nami Fukasaka -- One of the few women who actually returned my affection. And even more strange was that I SHE was the one that had a crush on me. I guess I was so flattered that we were actually going out. No more details are necessary except that it is a good feeling to be loved, even if you do not feel the same for her.

Lily Chen -- Fast forward 10 years (quite the dry spell). We met through a mutual friend and have quickly become best friends. Yes, there was a time when I thought she was my destiny but it was too late, as she was engaged. Perhaps if I had met her years ago things would be different. But I'm so glad I've met my 007 girl.

And now we come to the present. Yes, there seems to be someone who is trying to get on this list, but it is too early to tell. Perhaps she will be forgotten shortly, or perhaps she will be the one to make me happy for the rest of my life. Who knows what the hands of fate will bring me?

No comments: