Thursday, December 21, 2006

Rocky! Rocky!

How can I resist one of the greatest underdog movies of all time? Even thought it's been almost 30 years since the original Rocky (how time flies) and my gut feeling was that this movie was going to suck, how could I, the perennial underdog, pass up the movie? Well, I wasn't disappointed. While the premise of the story is still a bit far fetched, I identified with the movie. So much of the movie mirrored my own life. No, I'm not a secret boxer or anything, but my underdog story is a lot like Rocky's.

And what can I say, when Rocky starts training for the fight and you hear the notes of Bill Conti's immortal theme, how can you not be inspired? During the fight itself, many of the moviegoers were shouting "Rocky! Rocky!" as if it were a real fight. And in some ways (for me at least), it's been a real fight. When you know you are up against unbeatable odds, when you know you are fighting an unwinnable fight, do you still fight? After all that's gone on for me in the last few months, perhaps it's only fitting that it ends with this movie. I end with an inspirational line from the movie, spoken by Rocky himself:

"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very rough, mean place... and no matter how tough you think you are, it'll always bring you to your knees and keep you there, permanently... if you let it. You or nobody ain't never gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. If you know what you're worth, go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit."

No comments: