Friday, June 26, 2009

RIP Michael Jackson 1958-2009

Flashback to the night of August 31, 1997. I remember I was dealing roulette that night when the dealer supervisor whispered to me "Princess Diana just died". I remember how sad I was that night. I watched the TV report in the breakroom and was in shock.

Today, 12 years later, I felt that same sadness. Yes, for the last few years Michael Jackson was only remembered for a lot of bad things, from his reclusiveness to his strange behaviour to his lawsuit. Maybe as a person he was somebody that wasn't liked.

But I remember Michael Jackson for an album that was released 27 years ago, perhaps the greatest album of all time. Who hasn't danced to Thriller, or any of the other amazing hits? He has influenced so many musicians from his music to his dancing. There shall be no one else like him. His music will live on forever.

No comments: